Saturday, February 11, 2023

Portfolio Project

 All that was on my mind this week was MEDIA, MEDIA, and MEDIA! A million ideas began to flow through my head. Should I do a film opening from the horror genre, or the action genre, or what about a murder mystery. After much thought and deep film analysis, all of these ideas finally began to settle in my mind and I think that I am now able to narrow down the numerous options to a select few. With some inspiration from films such as Creed, and Murder on the Nile, I have planned out two main opening scenes that I would like to further explore. I want to create a production that is both entertaining, and inspiring. Moreover, the genre and scene has to be appropriate enough for me to display the usage of various film techniques in order to show my knowledge of the subject. 

My partner and I are still unsure as to what exactly we want to create but we are looking at three main options: An opening to a boxing movie, a soccer movie about a kid who makes it out of a poor neighborhood, and/or an opening about a murder and the mysterious nature of the killer. One challenging aspect of this planning is trying not to copy ideas from other films but rather use their opening as inspiration, and as a form of guidance. We want to pick genres that interest and excite both of us as well as entertain our target audience. Out of the many different genres that we could pick action, and crime are the two main ones that stood out for us.

Regarding the opening to our boxing idea, we have discussed creating a locker room related scene in which our fighter (or protagonist) is mentally, and physically preparing himself for one of his major fights. We would incorporate various Mise-en-sen elements such as boxing gloves, wrist tape, and even a punching bag. To mirror locker room conditions we would use darker lighting with the main stream of light focused on the fighter preparing himself. Regarding the soccer production I would like to have an opening scene of a young boy in ripped clothes, with no shoes dribbling a ball in a dirt area smiling, and having fun. Finally for the murder mystery my partner and I would like to start off in a dinning hall/fancy banquet, in which one of the waiters finds an extremely rich client dead on the ground. All of these ideas are just ground work and more research must be done before we decide what genre we would like to create our opening around.

These are some examples of shots that contain certain interesting angles, props, and lighting that I would like to also utilize when filming my opening scene. (I included a couple different pictures as I am not yet entirely sure as to what opening scene my partner and I would like to shoot)





Both my partner and I play sports and have a true passion for soccer, creating a film opening that displays our passion, as well as entertains our audience is the primary goal of our project. Speaking of which, our target audience for both the sports related films would primarily be males ages 14 and up, of all socioeconomic classes. We also believe that we can represent under represented groups through our film openings. In the Boxing film, our fighter is an orphan who has been kicked out of school for getting into fights. For our soccer idea, our protagonist is a poor young immigrant whose only escape from his bad environment is to have a ball at his feet.


In order for me to make a proper decision on which genre to create my film opening on, I must conduct more research and analyze more samples to determine which genre I am more passionate about, and which one helps me display my knowledge of film more effectively. Please stay tuned as the decision will come soon! 

Special note: (All information is tentative and ideas are prone to change in the next few posts, thank you for listening)


 

References:

Tangonan, E. J. (2022, October 17). Creed III: Michael B. Jordan and jonathan majors wait for the bell in new posters ahead of Tomorrow's Trailer. JoBlo. Retrieved February 11, 2023, from https://www.joblo.com/creed-iii-posters/

Download Manchester United Locker room wallpaper. Wallpapers.com. (2023, February 6). Retrieved February 11, 2023, from https://wallpapers.com/wallpapers/manchester-united-locker-room-mq3mcchp09vaerus.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

CCR questions 1 and 2: https://youtu.be/AdSD773ccBw   CCR questions 3 and 4: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u1FEmtF7pZTFH8dzGxavQ1QXRb3py...