Thursday, March 23, 2023

Media Portfolio Blog #19

In the past week a lot has happened. Lets start out simple, well, we faced a major problem on Monday, our actor had a devastating Hamstring injury while playing soccer in Weston Regional Park. Because of this injury he was unable to film this entire week, and possibly the following week as well. Knowing that our project is due soon, we had to do something. My partner and I thought long and hard about how to work around this issue, and we finally arrived at a solution. I was going to be the boxer. After this was decided we went straight to our initial filming location to shoot our opening few scenes as well as a few extra training scenes. The area that we picked was meant to appear rather industrial and a bit dingy, so we went to a parking lot behind a nearby Home Depot.




 

In this parking lot we first filmed me parking and walking out of my car while holding a gym duffel bag. We wanted to make the shot look really cool so we used a focus shift on my Iphone 14 pro to show the cars first driving movement in a blur, and then as it stops and I get out the focus changes and the image clarity becomes much sharper. We used this technique not only to shift the audiences attention from the moving car to me getting out of the car but we also used it to make the scene look cool, and visually interesting. It did take us many attempts to get the shot right but after a great deal of persistence, and practice we were finally able to get the shift at the right time, and also find the right camera placement position.

This scene was filmed using a tripod, as we wanted it to be steady, and look professional, while also having the pan appear smoothly. This however, is different from our other scenes which you will see later on, as they were filmed using the hand held camera technique to create a sense of realism, and shakiness, as our boxers training is rather rough, and unpleasant. 

The next scene that we filmed in the same location, was a long shot of me using a jump rope. Now, although I am an athlete and have played soccer for a very long time, surprisingly I had no clue how to use a jump rope. It took me many attempts to finally get it right moreover, once I figured out how to jump rope I then had to figure out how to make it look professional, and how to keep my knees straight while jumping. I included a couple clips of me failing just for your enjoyment. Additionally, we were unsure whether to have a plane background while jump roping or a background that was more interesting, and dingy (which we ended up going with). We also filmed both a medium shot of me using the jump rope, and a long shot. The medium shot was more to show my facial expression and upper body movements, while keeping the audience close to shot. The long shot that we filmed was more to show my full body movements, and capture the entire action as it happened.






 

Next, we filmed a few different scenes of me shadowboxing. We wanted to have the same shot of me shadow boxing, but have it appear from two different angles. Our goal was to use the insert editing technique for this set of shots by filming the same scene from a few different angles. We thought that this would make the scene more visually interesting, and exciting. We also filmed it on this ramp to elevate the shot and make it look a bit like a low-angle shot. By shooting from a slightly lower angle our fighter looks more powerful, and imposing while also showing his dominance, speed, and skill. The lighting was also perfect as it was not too dark, but also not very sunny. Not only does the background look industrial, but it also has mainly cool hues, creating a sense of neutrality, and blandness which is what we were going for in this series of shots.

 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

CCR questions 1 and 2: https://youtu.be/AdSD773ccBw   CCR questions 3 and 4: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u1FEmtF7pZTFH8dzGxavQ1QXRb3py...